All set to Lose Your Glasses? Ten pointers for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest developing fields of medicine. Never ever prior to have so numerous new strategies and scientific advancements emerged in such a brief time period. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, uses countless people the opportunity to decrease or eliminate their requirement for contacts or glasses .
Tv and radio ads are filled with amazing stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the quick and painless method to correct vision, however stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than successful. Prior to you opt to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist ensure that you will enjoy with your results?
The crucial to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an educated patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national study by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a physician by getting recommendations from other physicians or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Don't be tricked by elegant ads about a specific laser. Choose the doctor, not the laser.
3. Choose a physician who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. Exactly what a physician does not know can harm you.
4. Request for details on your medical professional's LASIK eye surgical treatment complication rates. Discover another one if your medical professional will not tell you. For top cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
5. Ask what measures are required to avoid infection. Try to find a center with a dust-free or sterile operating room. Make certain that non reusable parts are not recycled. Insist that your eye is thoroughly disinfected, and insist that the surgical instruments be sanitized prior to your eye laser surgical treatment to get rid of the danger of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
Beware of ads pushing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgery is as excellent as a discount parachute.
7. Anticipate to see effectively after LASIK, however do not expect to see completely. Each client gets a slightly different result. The very best surgeon on the planet cannot ensure 20/20 vision. As with any eye laser surgery, outcomes are as specific as each patient. Beware of any physician who assures 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a tough sell, you probably are. You're not purchasing a car; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
9. Implantable lenses will most likely provide better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Consider waiting until the new lenses are available. Ask your doctor about them and other recent advances.
10. While you examine, do not lose sight the original source of the advantages: for most people, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has improved the vision of millions of individuals worldwide.